46 yo lifter with piss poor gains

HypertrophyCoach Joe Bennett Forums Nutrition 46 yo lifter with piss poor gains

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mad Titan
    Participant

Ok – I’m looking for an epic audio reply here Joe… 😉 (and anyone else)

Here’s the beans –
    Lifted on and off my whole life. Got back into it again about 3+ years ago and have been getting more and more dedicated to it. Last 6 – 9 months I have been at it as hard as I can be.

So – I’m 5’11” and 163#.
    I had been eating around 1800 – 2000 calories a day. Sometimes measuring sometimes not. In the gym hard 6 days a week. Very very slow progression in weights. Some minor definition changes. But by most measures – flat progress.
    Recovery is legit. I get lots of sleep. No alcohol. Good stuff.

I think it was 3-4 weeks ago now you dropped the nutrition calculator video – so I went through that and started tracking / weighing everything I put in my face and logging for consistency.
    Been weighing myself daily and taking weekly average. And adding 200 more calories every week when the scale does not move.

So – here’s where I’m confused AF… I’m now about 600 calories a day higher than when I started with the very consistent measuring… and still the scale is flatlined. No weight gains. But 600 calories a day lower 4 weeks ago the scale was right where it is now. I was not losing weight 600 calories lower a day then where I’m not gaining today… like – math is not working here.

So – I have some cognitive dissonance. How the F am I not gaining anything at 600 calories more per day than where I was when I was not losing anything 600 calories lower either.

Im gonna stay the course and keep adding 200 cal a week at this point until I either die, eat all the food in the house in a day, or see the scale move… but I don’t get how 600 cal delta a day is still flat lined.

In the other metrics as I have been eating more – my lifts have not increased in weight as I have been adding cals and I don’t feel any different (other then I am never hungry anymore)

In an effort to not blame “science stuffs” – I had recent bloodwork. T is fine. Blood work is all normal. Thyroid is good. Healthy young boy.

So – my wife says I’m one of the outlying freaks of nature you mention in your video. Am I Joe? Am I a metabolic dip $h!t? Will you hold me and tell me it’s gonna be ok and I can grow into a older smaller version of you – eventually?

PS – unrelated but your “bonus” IG stories as of late have been spot on and it’s nice to know other people have the same perspective on the world out there!

Joe
    Keymaster

Ok – I’m looking for an epic audio reply here Joe… 😉 (and anyone else)

Here’s the beans –
    Lifted on and off my whole life. Got back into it again about 3+ years ago and have been getting more and more dedicated to it. Last 6 – 9 months I have been at it as hard as I can be.

So – I’m 5’11” and 163#.
    I had been eating around 1800 – 2000 calories a day. Somes measuring somes not. In the gym hard 6 days a week. Very very slow progression in weights. Some minor definition changes. But by most measures – flat progress.
    Recovery is legit. I get lots of sleep. No alcohol. Good stuff.

I think it was 3-4 weeks ago now you dropped the nutrition calculator video – so I went through that and started tracking / weighing everything I put in my face and logging for consistency.
    Been weighing myself daily and taking weekly average. And adding 200 more calories every week when the scale does not move.

So – here’s where I’m confused AF… I’m now about 600 calories a day higher than when I started with the very consistent measuring… and still the scale is flatlined. No weight gains. But 600 calories a day lower 4 weeks ago the scale was right where it is now. I was not losing weight 600 calories lower a day then where I’m not gaining today… like – math is not working here.

So – I have some cognitive dissonance. How the F am I not gaining anything at 600 calories more per day than where I was when I was not losing anything 600 calories lower either.

Im gonna stay the course and keep adding 200 cal a week at this point until I either die, eat all the food in the house in a day, or see the scale move… but I don’t get how 600 cal delta a day is still flat lined.

In the other metrics as I have been eating more – my lifts have not increased in weight as I have been adding cals and I don’t feel any different (other then I am never hungry anymore)

In an effort to not blame “science stuffs” – I had recent bloodwork. T is fine. Blood work is all normal. Thyroid is good. Healthy young boy.

So – my wife says I’m one of the outlying freaks of nature you mention in your video. Am I Joe? Am I a metabolic dip $h!t? Will you hold me and tell me it’s gonna be ok and I can grow into a older smaller version of you – eventually?

PS – unrelated but your “bonus” IG stories as of late have been spot on and it’s nice to know other people have the same perspective on the world out there!

Mad Titan
    Participant

[quote quote=0]

[/quote]

First – thanks for the reply!

I read my post to my small human wife and then played your response. She thinks I lied to you but she also still thinks I’m a freak. So I figured I’d give you a digest of your response and let you know it’s appreciated and let you know I will keep you posted.

So breaking your response down into 3 things –
    1- caloric issue… this one is still baffling. My baseline was pretty damn solid. Like now I weigh and measure everything that Input in my mouth – but we know the number I started with was pretty accurate because she has been tracking everything and losing weight and we know where I was.
    Even if I was way off – I took the formula your video had and got my baseline there and started adding 200 a week and never lost or gained anything. So… 600 up from a known baseline and no delta – up or down.

So you thought maybe it could be how hard / efficient I am in the gym. And you were very gentle about how you approached it. So – every damn session I try to do better. I know I have lots to learn and am always looking to learn. I would tell you in person I’m ready to work and learn. But I also know through that self-awareness that I don’t phone it in. I don’t slob out on final reps. Could I be better. Sure. Do I sometimes almost puke I work so hard and keep decent form – yeah that too.
    You mentioned progression – my wife wanted me to tell you I’m progressing. She told me I was a d bag for saying I’m not progressing. She’s right. It’s slow. I know it’s supposed to be. I know it’s normal. I know I have 1 lift I can’t move the needle on. So – I led you astray with no progression. It’s there.

So I’m gonna stay the course. Keep weighing in weekly and adding another 200 calories until something happens. Either fat, muscle or a black hole falls out my ass showing me where all the damn food is going.

Anyhow – your reply was very helpful and I’ll keep you posted coach!

Joe
    Keymaster

[quote quote=22457][quote quote=0]

[/quote]

First – thanks for the reply!

I read my post to my small human wife and then played your response. She thinks I lied to you but she also still thinks I’m a freak. So I figured I’d give you a digest of your response and let you know it’s appreciated and let you know I will keep you posted.

So breaking your response down into 3 things –
    1- caloric issue… this one is still baffling. My baseline was pretty damn solid. Like now I weigh and measure everything that Input in my mouth – but we know the number I started with was pretty accurate because she has been tracking everything and losing weight and we know where I was.
    Even if I was way off – I took the formula your video had and got my baseline there and started adding 200 a week and never lost or gained anything. So… 600 up from a known baseline and no delta – up or down.

So you thought maybe it could be how hard / efficient I am in the gym. And you were very gentle about how you approached it. So – every damn session I try to do better. I know I have lots to learn and am always looking to learn. I would tell you in person I’m ready to work and learn. But I also know through that self-awareness that I don’t phone it in. I don’t slob out on final reps. Could I be better. Sure. Do I somes almost puke I work so hard and keep decent form – yeah that too.
    You mentioned progression – my wife wanted me to tell you I’m progressing. She told me I was a d bag for saying I’m not progressing. She’s right. It’s slow. I know it’s supposed to be. I know it’s normal. I know I have 1 lift I can’t move the needle on. So – I led you astray with no progression. It’s there.

So I’m gonna stay the course. Keep weighing in weekly and adding another 200 calories until something happens. Either fat, muscle or a black hole falls out my ass showing me where all the damn food is going.

Anyhow – your reply was very helpful and I’ll keep you posted coach! [/quote]

Mad Titan
    Participant

Just an update…
    With not much meat on it…

Doc ordered more blood work and my TSH is right at the upper limit – so we are gonna do another test in 4 weeks and if it’s still right there then maybe some drugs.

Also – probably the most significant- even tho I said I go to bed and get 9-ish hours of sleep… Apparently I have all the signs of apnea so I did a at home sleep study last week and “have results” that I need to meet with a doctor about NEXT week…

So even tho I got all the way up to 2800 calories a day for a week – my weight didn’t change but I thought I was gonna puke all the time…

So now I’m living at about 2500 a day and waiting for results while still pounding out solid sessions in the gym…

I secretly have a hope that when whatever is wrong with me get fixed – months of “dormant” gains will suddenly spring forth… I know that’s not gonna happen… but a boy can dream!

I’ll update when more labs and results are in… but I just wanted to solidify that I am a freak of metabolic nature in this thread!

Dario
    Participant

I genuinely speak from personal experience, I’m 41 – not MD/RD – so take it as it is, but I hope it may help in some way. Follow what Joe said, track food and weight constantly and make changes every 2 weeks if needed. Adjust by 100-200 max at a time.  Too large of an increase will through you off, the body has to adopt and you will need to be comfortable in getting uncomfortable, eating more is not always going to be easy or pleasant. Try to adapt and be patient as it’s a very long term process. You may need to spread your food in 4-6 meals. Good luck!

Mad Titan
    Participant

I genuinely speak from personal experience, I’m 41 – not MD/RD – so take it as it is, but I hope it may help in some way. Follow what Joe said, track food and weight constantly and make changes every 2 weeks if needed. Adjust by 100-200 max at a .  Too large of an increase will through you off, the body has to adopt and you will need to be comfortable in getting uncomfortable, eating more is not always going to be easy or pleasant. Try to adapt and be patient as it’s a very long term process. You may need to spread your food in 4-6 meals. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. The issue here is I have done that. Exactly that. And what spurred the initial post was the fact I had increased calories almost 600 a day over several weeks – and neither started gaining or losing weight. So – like – when Joe’s video talks about 200 cal a day change week over week and surplus gains and deficit loses. And I am up consistently and tracked 600 over where I was static – and am still static – that’s messed up.

I’m keeping the thread going because if it is sleep apnea and or thyroid – for all the struggles I have had in gaining meaningful mass… maybe someone else will search and find this and get an answer sooner.

If it’s neither of those 2 things for me. Then I’m still totally confused how a 600 calorie a day increase from static is still static.
    So I’ll keep updating this as I make discoveries, get results, get skinnier or get fatter. I’m sure I’ll get it figured out just right now it makes zero sense. Zero.

Mad Titan
    Participant

Update – it’s official – I have sleep apnea.
    I’m not fat -well about 15% and look fat to me – and I don’t snore. So catching this is a bit of a 🦄

Anyhow – apparently my O2 levels at night plummet to around 80%… so anything anabolic that’s supposed to be going down in recovery sleep isn’t. Explains my hard gainer lifestyle.

Get my dental appliance on Oct 14 and will update again.

For anyone who is Middle Aged and starts golfer king more tired than normal, foggy headed, has a hard time gaining mass AND losing belly fat and gets sleepy after eating… the inter webs would have you think you need TRT… if you wake up tired – before you start a life of pinning ask your doctor about an at home sleep study.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.